This is a favorite recipe that I've been making for years. Everyone who tries it loves it. Although it is not an exact replica of feta cheese, this vegan cheese has a yummy Feta Cheese flavor. It is healthy and is a great way to get almonds in your diet. The raw almond feta cheese is vegan and gluten free. The flavor is creamy and rich. I often make it in double and triple batches. It goes fast, but it does freeze well.
Feta Cheese Enjoyed
This cheese is perfect by itself but goes well in salads and recipes. On salads it is easy to crumble on top. It also spreads nicely, so it can be served with crackers or on a cheese platter. I enjoy it on garlic bread (gluten-free, of course!) and in recipes. If you want to try the raw almond feta in some recipes here are my favorites.
You will not want to miss the appetizers: Cucumber Feta Beet Bites with Basil or Marinated Beet with Feta and Mint. My absolute favorite raw entree is the Vegan Raw Salmon Roll. All of these recipes are raw! The raw almond feta cheese goes well in other raw recipes, as well as on toast and crackers. It's a great spread to put in a sandwich or add to a veggie burger. It can also be baked with if you choose. It won't melt but becomes a toastier cheese flavor.
Raw Almond Feta
- Coffee Filter or cheese cloth
- 1 ¼ cups almonds (pre-socked and peeled)
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 ⅛ tsp salt
- Soak the almonds for about 8 hours or overnight. After soaking, rinse well. The soaking makes the skins come off easier. The skins have a more bitter taste and there will be light brown flakes in your cheese. If you keep the skins on see notes below.
- Put almonds and all ingredients in high speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Place a strainer into a bowl with a coffee filter in it. You can use several coffee filters, slightly overlapped, to cover it the strainer (or you can skip the coffee filter and use a cheese cloth if you prefer). Pour the cheese mixture from blender into the coffee filter or cheese cloth. Cover coffee filter or if using cheese cloth twist into ball and tie with a rubber band. Let drain overnight or for 2 - 3 hours.
- Once drained, scoop out into a storing container or containers.
A Little Bit More
If you want to step it up a notch, while serving the almond feta cheese, add some herb oil. Thyme, dill, or rosemary are all good choice. Simply add about ⅛ cup oil and some herbs. Let marinate while cheese is draining. For more concentrated taste, heat on low for a few minutes in saucepan. If you'd like to keep it raw then put in dehydrator while cheese is draining. Drizzle the herb oil over the cheese when served.