There is nothing like seafood chowders! In the summer, you feel like you are at the beach. In the cooler seasons, they are a warm, filling, nutritious soup. This Chesapeake Chowder is the best vegan fish chowder!
This version of chowder is slightly Mediterranean inspired, and will go well with Greek and Mediterranean meals. It also would go well with Seafood meals or something as simple as a cheese and bread sandwich. You decide, and let me know how you served it.
Mixture of seasonings and seaweed gives this chowder immense flavors! I grind the combination of seasonings. I use raw kelp pieces, so those get ground, too. It's fine to use the already ground kelp or seaweed.
First saute the chopped onions. I let them cook for a minute while I chop up the celery. Then the celery is combined with the onions to saute.
The fish of this chowder is the grated zucchini and cauliflower. The texture and taste brings this chowder along.
Building up the flavors through each step. Saute, cook and simmer to perfection. Golden fish chowder with creamy, earthy, lemony flavors combined with the sea.
Simmering pot to serving bowl. Chopped parsley adds the finishing touch! This makes 8 cups. However, it doesn't last long in our house!
Vegan Chesapeake Chowder
- Food processor or grater
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 celery stalks sliced down the middle length-wise and then thinly sliced
- 2 zucchini grated /shredded
- 4 potatoes chopped into small cubes
- 16 oz shredded cauliflower 1 lb shredded (rice cauliflower would work)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves through a garlic press
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 ½ tsp celery seed
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 ½ tsp paprika
- ¾ tsp sage
- ⅓ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp onion granules
- shake cayenne tiniest pinch
- 2 tbsp seaweed kelp/dulse flakes
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 4 cups water or vegetable broth
- 3 cups coconut milk Use less if you want thicker chowder
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- 3 tbsp coconut aminos
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Take all the seasonings (except bay leaves) and blend or mix in a bowl. If you have whole seaweed, then blend it to powdery granules. Set these both aside.
- Add olive oil to large pot and saute chopped onion for 1 minute. Then add sliced celery. Stir occasionally. Cook until starting to be translucent. About 7 minutes.
- Stir in potatoes that have been cut in small cubes. Stir continually. Potatoes will be coated and starting to cook. Cook for just 1 minute.
- Add 1 cup of water and 2 Tbsp of the herbs and 2 Tbsp of seaweed. Cook for 7 minutes.
- Stir in shredded zucchini, cauliflower and minced garlic. Add the rest of the water, bay leaves and the remainder of the seasoning mix and the seaweed mix. Cover. Stir every 5 mins. Cook 15 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, lemon juice, coconut aminos, and nutritional yeast. Cover, and cook on medium/low for 1 - 1 ½ hours, until vegetables are done. However, this can continue to simmer. Simmering is where it all comes together and where the magic happens. If you can let it simmer for 2 hours, it will only get better.
- Remove bay leaves and discard. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley
SERVING TIP: Enjoy the best vegan fish chowder. It's delicious, pure, clean food! In other words, good tasting and good for you! Try this chowder with garlic bread and feta cheese.