This flavor of Lox adds a whole dimension to food yumminess! It truly is the best vegan lox! As a vegan, it's been years since I've had lox. I certainly don't want a packaged and processed imitation that is loaded with ingredients I can't pronounce. My new Vegan Carrot Lox has made me happy. It's healthy and can be used anywhere you'd traditionally use lox.
A nice warm bagel or English muffin with vegan cream cheese and lox makes me a happy girl! I don’t know about you - but it feels like something is missing when I don’t have my occasional bagels and lox. Now I don’t have to….and neither do you! It took me awhile to find the right texture, color and taste but it was well worth the wait!
The thinly peeled carrots give a similar texture once soaked in the marinade. The maple syrup and smoked paprika give that smoky flavor without adding anything artificial. The best part is the kelp that gives it that sea flavor and the goodness of iodine into our diet. The balanced blend of salty, sour, sweet works well in this recipe.
The hardest part of this recipe is the waiting! It does have to marinate. Those hours of soaking up flavor is needed to give that lox-y flavor. Be patient. It is worth it!
Vegan Carrot Lox
- 4 whole carrots (peeled) large thick carrots work best
- 1 ¾ cup water
- 1 tbsp kelp (ground)
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- salt (to taste)
- Wash and cut ends off carrots. Peel each carrot, and then peel into strips. Try to make the peelings half a carrot size instead of long strips, keeping it is similar to salmon lox. Place carrot strips, 1 cup of water and 1 tbsp. of coconut aminos in non stick pan. Lightly cook until carrots are beginning to soften. Do not overcook.
- Place carrots in glass dish or bowl with remaining ingredients. Toss carrots in marinade. Mix well.
- Marinade at least 4 -6 hours. For best results marinade overnight
Lox is not just for bagels. They are hard to find vegan and gluten free. My favorite way to use vegan lox is on gluten free English muffins, just like I would a bagel. There are many creative ways to use this recipe. Check out this new dish (Vegan Salmon Feta Roll) created using this recipe.